While the evacuation orders remain for Kluskus, Nazko and Clisbako – the CRD has downgraded the evacuation order to an alert for the area west of Batnuni to the CRD’s western boundary.
Wildfires remain active and firefighting activities continue in the area. It is important for residents to stay out of active wildfire areas. Interfering in an active fire area will result in crews ceasing ground and air operations potentially endangering nearby properties.
Since these areas remain on evacuation alert, residents must be prepared in case the area receives a future evacuation order on short notice. Local governments may not have time to go door-to-door should a new evacuation order be issued. Information about what to do when on evacuation alert is listed below.
It is also important to note that air quality remains poor as a result of smoke from nearby fire activity. Those with respiratory issues, small children and the elderly should consider this before they choose to return to the area. Further, services such as health care may be limited for some time.
Residents returning to the area are strongly encouraged to register for the Cariboo Chilcotin Emergency Notification System to receive a text, call or email regarding Evacuation Alerts and Orders: https://member.everbridge.net/index/453003085612292#/signup.
What to do if you are on an evacuation alert:
Since the area remains on evacuation alert, residents should remain prepared for an evacuation by:
• Having a plan to transport all family members or co-workers outside the area, should the area be brought back under evacuation order.
• Keeping essential items readily available for a quick departure, including medications, eyeglasses, valuable papers (i.e. insurance), immediate care needs for dependents and, if you choose, keepsakes (photographs, etc).
• Ensuring that any dependents are prepared for departure.
• Ensuring that pets and livestock remain in a safe area.
• Ensuring that you have accommodation options for your family, if possible. A Reception Centre will be made available again if required.
• Monitoring reliable news sources for evacuation order information. Further information will be issued as it becomes available.