Arthur Topham charged with hate crime

After waiting five months, Arthur Topham has now been officially charged with wilful promotion of hatred.

After waiting five months, Arthur Topham has now been officially charged with wilful promotion of hatred.

 

RCMP searched and seized property of the Quesnel resident in

late May of this year, after

it was determined

there were “reasonable grounds the offence of promotion of hatred was committed.”

 

Crown officially moved forward on the charge earlier this month.

Since then Topham has had to comply with certain conditions, including restricted Internet access and is prohibited from maintaining his websites (including the Radical Press domain.)

Crown continues to request the courts permission on further restrictions.

Topham, who adamantly denies the charge, says he’s hopeful having his day in court will raise awareness surrounding free speech and the definition of “hate crimes.”

 

“This is not to say that I have full confidence in Canada’s judicial system but it will hopefully give me an opportunity to present the facts and the truth before a judge and jury of my peers; something that would never have happened

if the case had been decided by a tribunal,” he said.

 

“In that regard, therefore, I welcome the opportunity to challenge these Draconian “hate” laws that have been set up to protect vested interests here in Canada.”

Topham says ever since he was charged with a hate crime in 2007 he’s been forced to battle with the Canadian Rights Commission and the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal.

Back in 2008 the  Quesnel Cariboo Observer published a story in which Topham had received a complaint from the Canadian Human Rights Commission stating he was promoting hatred towards Jews and citizens of Israel.

Topham maintains a site, Radical Press with the tagline “Digging to the root of the issues since 1908.”

Currently Topham is permitted to continue posting to his site, Crown is seeking to prohibit posting.

 

“Of course my immediate concern is that the crown wants to assume that I have already been found

guilty and therefore shouldn’t be allowed to write or post

on my website in

order to defend myself against these spurious charges,” Topham said.

 

“Given how the msm is smearing me already I feel it would be highly unfair to take away my charter rights prior to this case being heard in a court of law.”

Topham’s next court appearance is slated for Nov. 27.

 

Just Posted

Meet the 2019 Quesnel Ambassador candidates

The speech and talent night and pageant will take place on July 4 and 5

Category 2 open burning to be allowed in Cariboo

Restrictions on Category 2 open burning will be lifted June 26 at noon

Community members raise concerns at packed forestry meeting in Quesnel

North Cariboo MLA Coralee Oakes hopes community feels heard

Quesnel SkyFest offering Canada Day sale this weekend

Online tickets will be 10 per cent off during the long weekend

Quesnel RCMP welcomes new officer

Reserve Constable Cam Percy will begin working part-time in the fall

VIDEO: Driver doing laps in busy Vancouver intersections nets charges

Toyota Camry spotted doing laps in intersection, driving towards pedestrians

Every situation is different, jurors hear at coroners inquest into Oak Bay teen’s overdose death

Pediatrician says involuntary treatment necessary following overdose, opioid use

RCMP across Canada to soon unionize, according to B.C. mayor

A spokeswoman for RCMP headquarters in Ottawa says it’s not yet a done deal

Explicit sex-ed guide for adults mistakenly given to Creston elementary students

The booklet clearly states online and inside that the guide contains sexually explicit information

Driver has $240K McLaren impounded minutes after buying it in West Vancouver

Officers clocked the car travelling at 160 km/h along Highway 1 in a 90 km/h zone

Former Vernon Judo coach pleads guilty to child pornography charges

Bryan Jeffrey McLachlan is set to return to court Sept. 4 for sentencing

B.C. Olympic skier sues Alpine Canada after coach’s sex offences

Bertrand Charest was convicted in 2017 on 37 charges

Former Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo to retire

‘Bobby Lou’ calls it a career after 19 NHL seasons

Most Read