Quesnel’s provincial government building. File photo

Blackwater Road bust suspect still awaiting hearing or trial

Earl Edward Roper has been in and out of court since the Jan. 3 incident

Quesnel resident Earl Edward Roper appeared in court Aug. 28 on charges including possession of stolen property over $5,000; two counts of possession of a firearm without a licence or registration; careless use or storage of a firearm; storing a firearm contrary to regulation; and two counts of possession of stolen property under $5,000. He also faces one charge of breach of undertaking.

The charges stem from a January 3, 2018 incident in which Roper and Steven Gerald Schuk were discovered with stolen property at a residence on Blackwater Road.

Schuk was sentenced to one month plus 75 days in jail and fined $100 in April 2018, in relation to the incident.

READ MORE: Quesnel resident sentenced to time for several offences

Roper appeared for his arraignment on Aug. 28 and will next appear in Quesnel Provincial Court on Sept. 18, to fix a date for a hearing or trial.

His court appearances have been ongoing since January. Roper had been scheduled for sentencing on these charges on June 20, 2018; however, during a court appearance in June his then-lawyer applied to be removed from the case. Roper was then allowed to re-enter his plea after consultation with his new lawyer.

The accused is not currently in custody.

Background

After a break-and-enter and theft at a business on Keis Avenue in Quesnel on Jan. 1, 2018, the business owner gave police a tip on Jan. 3, reporting he had information as to where his stolen electronic device may be located.

A press release from the Quesnel RCMP states members of the Quesnel RCMP General Duty and Crime Reduction units went to a residence in the 1700 block of Blackwater Road to follow up on the tip.

They found a stolen trailer parked at the home when they arrived.

Upon entering the house, the officers stated they saw stolen property in plain view.

The RCMP members subsequently arrested some occupants of the home for possession of stolen property.

Once a search warrant was obtained, police stated they seized the electronic device belonging to the business from Keis Avenue, as well as firearms and other stolen property.



editor@quesnelobserver.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Quesnel’s 27th annual Gold Rush Trail Sled Dog Mail Run attracting mushers from as far as Montana

Participantss will be sworn in as official Canada Post mail carriers Jan. 25 in Quesnel

Protecting your operation from wildfire the focus of upcoming workshop in Quesnel

The BC Agriculture and Food Climate Action Initiative hosts a risk reduction workshop Jan. 31

Olympic medallist inspires Quesnel swimmers

Hillary Caldwell provides more than just technical tips to impressionable athletes

Exciting year ahead for North Cariboo Trail Development Program

Fifteen km of new trails to be built at Dragon Mountain and Wonderland trails south of Quesnel

High hospital occupancy amidst seniors housing shortage in Quesnel

An in-depth look at housing, health care and community supports for local seniors

VIDEO: Students in MAGA hats mock Native American at Indigenous Peoples March

Diocese in Kentucky says it is investigating the matter, caught on video by onlookers

CONSUMER REPORT: What to buy each month in 2019 to save money

Resolve to buy all of the things you want and need, but pay less money for them

Want to avoid the speculation tax on your vacant home? Rent it out, Horgan says

Premier John Horgan and Sheila Malcolmson say speculation and vacancy tax addresses homelessness

UPDATE: B.C. woman and boy, 6, found safe, RCMP confirm

Roseanne Supernault says both she and her six-year-old nephew are fine and she has contacted police

PHOTOS: Women’s Marches take to the streets across B.C. and beyond

Women and allies marched worldwide protesting violence against women, calling for equality

Anxiety in Alaska as endless aftershocks rattle residents

Seismologists expect the temblors to continue for months, although the frequency has lessened

Women’s March returns across the U.S. amid shutdown and controversy

The original march in 2017, the day after President Donald Trump’s inauguration, drew hundreds of thousands of people

Federal Liberals announce former B.C. MLA as new candidate in byelection

Richard Lee will face off against federal NDP leader Jagmeet Singh

No winning ticket in $10 million Lotto Max jackpot

No win in Friday night’s draw means the next Lotto Max draw will be approximately $17 million

Most Read