The Cariboo Regional District has reduced the evacuation orders in place for the Blackwater River, North Baezaeko and Chutanli Lake Fires to evacuation alerts as of 4 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 5. The evacuation alerts affecting 345 properties in the Nazko area and north of Batnuni Road were also lifted.
The evacuation orders affected approximately 367 properties in total, all of which are now under alert.
The CRD says residents who have now been put on alert may return home, but must be ready to leave at a moment’s notice should they be ordered to evacuate once more.
Owners of rural properties impacted by the wildfires should also be aware that there may be “danger trees” in wildfire impacted areas. The CRD recommends that property owners work with an insurance company to have an assessment done by a qualified arborist.
Since some areas remain on evacuation alert, the CRD recommends residents remain prepared for an evacuation by:
- Having a plan to transport all family members or co-workers outside the area, should the area be brought back under evacuation order.
- Keeping essential items readily available for a quick departure, including medications, eyeglasses, valuable papers (i.e. insurance), immediate care needs for dependents and, if you choose, keepsakes (photographs, etc).
- Ensuring that any dependents are prepared for departure.
- Ensuring that pets and livestock remain in a safe area.
- Ensuring that you have accommodation options for your family, if possible. A Reception Centre will be made available again if required.
- Monitoring reliable news sources for evacuation order information. Further information will be issued as it becomes available.