The new Northern Health Connections bus shelter outside G.R. Baker Memorial Hospital was funded by the Spirit of the North Healthcare Foundation and the Cariboo Chilcotin Regional Hospital District. Photo submitted

Bus shelter installed outside G.R. Baker Memorial Hospital in Quesnel

People waiting for the Northern Health Connections can now keep out of the elements

People waiting for the Northern Health Connections bus in Quesnel are able to keep out of the elements thanks to a covered shelter that was installed in July.

The new bus shelter in front of the G.R. Baker Memorial Hospital, which cost close to $14,000, is the result of a request made to the Spirit of the North Healthcare Foundation by the hospital in 2018.

“As local residents know, our weather isn’t always ideal, especially in the winter months,” said Quesnel health services administrator Daryl Petsul. “The shelter will improve the experience for those waiting to board the bus or even for a ride home following a trip.”

READ MORE: Quesnel’s G.R. Baker Memorial Hospital to get new emergency department and ICU

The foundation funded 60 per cent of the project, and the Cariboo Chilcotin Regional Hospital District (CCRHD) funded the remaining 40 per cent.

According to Quesnel Mayor Bob Simpson, who is also the CCRHD chair, the need for the shelter goes back further than 2018.

“As long as they’ve been running their bus service, people having to hang out outside in all weather has been an issue at the hospital,” Simpson told the Observer.

He said a bench with metals bars was installed inside the shelter to provide handhold support and assist medical patients. For example, he said, an individual with a back injury can use the bars to ease themselves down onto the bench and push themselves up when their ride arrives.

READ MORE: Northern Health Authority expands medical bus use


@QuesnelNews
karissa.gall@blackpress.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Quesnel athletes headed to B.C. Winter Games

Sixteen local athletes will compete in six different sports during the Games in Fort St. John

Rotary Club of Quesnel’s first Walk for Water coming up Feb. 21

Money raised will support the Baker Creek Enhancement Society and Roll-A-Hippo Foundation

Plans in full swing for the Richmond 2020 55+ BC Games

Participant registration will open March 1

Cariboo Regional District hears about 63 forestry projects in region

The executive director of the Forest Enhancement Society of B.C. provided an update Feb. 13

Top Quesnel Curling Sponsor League teams fall as the pack tightens

QLC and CDC pick up easy wins, while Billy Barker and Redz Shedz muscle their way to victory

Pipeline dispute: Tories put no-confidence motion on House of Commons agenda

Conservatives say they have no confidence in the Trudeau government to end the rail blockades

A&W employees in Ladysmith get all-inclusive vacation for 10 years of service

Kelly Frenchy, Katherine Aleck, and Muriel Jack are headed on all-expenses-paid vacations

Via Rail lays off 1,000 employees temporarily as anti-pipeline blockades drag on

The Crown corporation has suspended passenger trains on its Montreal-Toronto and Ottawa-Toronto

VIDEO: Knife-wielding man arrested after barricading himself in Lower Mainland Walmart

A man had barricaded himself in the freezer section of the fish area at a Walmart in Richmond

Budget 2020: Weaver ‘delighted,’ minority B.C. NDP stable

Project spending soars along with B.C.’s capital debt

B.C. widow ‘crushed’ over stolen T-shirts meant for memorial blanket

Lori Roberts lost her fiancé one month ago Tuesday now she’s lost almost all she had left of him

Higher costs should kill Trans Mountain pipeline, federal opposition says

Most recent total was $12.6 billion, much higher than a previous $7.4-billion estimate

Trees Cannabis director fined $1.5M for selling marijuana

Fine follows provincial crackdown on popular dispensary

World Cup skier from Okanagan dies suddenly at 19

Kuroda, who made his World Cup debut earlier this year, passed away suddenly Monday night.

Most Read