COURT Chukra awaits verdict

Jason Chukra and Alan Charboneau, both charged with possession of child pornography and access of child pornography, were back in court.

Jason Chukra and Alan Charboneau, both charged with possession of child pornography and access of child pornography, were back in court.

Chukra awaits verdict, slated for Feb. 23 while Charboneau is in court Feb. 15 to fix a trial date.

Both men were arrested in March of 2009 after policing partners across Canada carried out the largest ever co-ordinated investigation into Internet-facilitated

child sexual abuse in the country.

The investigation, dubbed “Project Salvo”, was coordinated by the National Child Exploitation Coordination Centre and developed in conjunction with its domestic policing partners.

The investigation focused on users that would meet other like-minded individuals and exchange child sexual abuse images online.

In British Columbia, members from the Integrated Child Exploitation Unit (ICE), Technological Crime Unit, RCMP detachments from Richmond, Surrey, Langley, Burnaby, Prince George, Quesnel, Fort St. John and municipal police forces from New Westminster, Abbotsford, Delta, Victoria and Saanich executed search warrants for child exploitation related offences.

In Quesnel, two separate search warrants were executed by BC ICE with Quesnel RCMP assistance and RCMP Tech Crime Unit.

Two men (Chukra and Charboneau) were arrested for child pornography-

related offences.

Gill and Van Dyke

Clarence Gill and Bradley Van Dyke are back in supreme court Feb. 7 to fix a trial date.

The two men are charged with a number of offences after an incident Sept. 5, 2009.

Sept. 5 RCMP responded to a shooting.

Police located the victim and determined the male was at his residence in Bouchie Lake, 15 km West of Quesnel, when two males known to the victim entered the residence.

One of the men allegedly beat the victim with a baseball bat causing severe

injuries to the victim’s face, arms and legs, while the second male allegedly shot the victim in the abdomen with a rifle.

The victim was shot in the arm a second time as he tried to escape. The victim was able to escape and get to a neighbour’s residence.

He was then transported to G.R. Baker Memorial Hospital where he received extensive medical attention.

One of the suspects [Van Dyke] was found earlier that afternoon at a residence on Olson Road. The second suspect was identified as Gill. He subsequently fled police, resulting in a province-wide manhunt.

Gill turned himself in Oct. 11, 2009.

Van Dyke and Gill have been charged with break and enter to commit an indictable offence, assault, aggravated assault, using a firearm while committing or attempting to commit the indictable offence of assault and discharge of a firearm with intent to wound, maim or disfigure.