Quesnel council has approved a budget of $13 million for the new Public Works facility, which is $2 million higher than the original budget approved last year. (Photo courtesy of City of Quesnel)

Quesnel council has approved a budget of $13 million for the new Public Works facility, which is $2 million higher than the original budget approved last year. (Photo courtesy of City of Quesnel)

New design and higher budget approved for Quesnel’s Public Works facility

Council approves spending up to $13 million for new buildings and yard

Quesnel council has approved a revised design and a revised, higher budget for the City’s new Public Works facility.

At its Jan. 7 meeting, council learned the overall project completion cost is estimated to be $12,738,000, almost two million dollars higher than the $10,975,000 originally approved for the project.

In the 2019 capital budget, $10,975,000 was approved to construct a new Public Works facility, and $8,500,000 of the total amount received voter assent to be borrowed by a 2018 referendum, Chris Coben, the City’s director of capital works and infrastructure, explained in his report to council.

Work began immediately on design, and the City engaged Vancouver-based MKT Development Group as a project manager. The City issued an expression of interest for a general contractor, and five contractors were invited to submit a proposal for a new build while site preparation works were underway.

Coben told council the five proposals ranged from $15,002,252 to $17,968,801, all well over the estimated cost.

Negotiations with the lowest- priced contracted, Vic Van Isle Construction out of Revelstoke, along with value engineering that included sizing adjustments of the mechanical shop, approving alternate electrical, mechanical and structural components has revised the price to complete the general contractor portion of the project to $10,114,000. Additional costs bring the overall project completion cost to an estimated $12,738,000.

Vic Van Isle Construction and MKT Development Group Inc. both worked with the City previously for the construction of the new West Fraser Centre.

Peter Mitchell, principal and project manager with MKT Development Group Inc., provided an update to council at the Jan. 7 meeting and explained all the work that has gone into the revised project plan.

“The project has gone through quite a journey,” he said.

Mitchell says the change in the estimated project cost from the time the project was approved to the time the project went out to contractors for proposals is mostly due to inflation.

“Considerable inflation occurred, and basically, I think we had underestimated the cost of developing the yard space, which turned out to be a significant cost factor,” he said.

Mitchell told council they opted to go with what he would call a “hybrid design build concept.”

“Out of that process, we managed to carve away $3 million to $4 million,” he said. “I think we have pretty much arrived at a number that I don’t think will get much better. We wanted to maintain the original functionality and design work that had been provided by the architect. We think this is a well-designed, functional building. I think have achieved a very good building in the long run.”

Mitchell says when they realized the budget was much higher than originally estimated, some of the changes they made include cutting back from three full mechanical bays to two and looking at economies in the vehicle storage area. The total area for the buildings was reduced by about 5,000 square feet. The administration space, storage space, lunch room and locker room space are all fully maintained as per the original design.

One big change was to move to a pre-engineered building for both the main building and the storage building.

“That produced probably $1 million or $2 million savings in the end,” said Mitchell.

The new design has re-engineered a central mechanical system to provide heating and cooling with a simpler, de-centralized heat pump system, which saves about $1.9 million.

As well, the yard works has now been taken out of the contractor’s budget, and City workers will do the gravel and paving, which, along with some design medications for the yard, saves about $300,000, according to Mitchell.

“Essentially, we now have a design which was preserved,” said Mitchell. “We stayed within our public procurement guidelines. We have a contractor that I think has performed very well in working to this time.

“We originally had a schedule of September 2020, and now our schedule is November 2020, so we have only lost a couple months, and we have a certainly brought this project in lower than it could have been. I don’t think there’s much more we would change if we could.”

Following Mitchell’s presentation, council directed staff to proceed with awarding the general contract for the construction of the new facility to Vic Van Isle Construction and amended the existing budget to an overall total amount of $13 million.

The original budget of $10,975,000 was approved in 2019 to come from debt, the City’s capital reinvestment reserve, the Public Works reserve and general capital. It is recommended that the additional $2,025,000 be funded from the City’s water and sewer surpluses, the water and sewer capital budgets and the Public Works reserve.

Mayor Bob Simpson, who is also chair of the City’s Financial Audit and Sustainability Committee, noted that this type of funding using reserves and surplus is common for the City.

The need for a new Public Works facility was identified in 2002, and the City purchased a 2.9-hectare parcel of land on Sword Avenue for a new public Works yard, according to Coben’s report.

The new facility is expected to be ready for occupancy in late November of this year.

READ MORE: Referendum set for replacement of Quesnel’s Public Works facility



editor@quesnelobserver.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Kelly and Mila Bradley attended a drive-by volunteer event for Coralee Oakes before the 2020 election. The third-term B.C. Liberal MLA was named to two opposition critic roles Monday, Nov. 30. (Submitted Photo)
Coralee Oakes named as post-secondary critic in B.C. Liberals’ Cabinet

The Cariboo North MLA was also named the sports critic on Nov. 30

The Billy Barker Casino team went 1-1 in the last two weeks, and continue to lead the standings of the Quesnel Curling Sponsor League.(Cassidy Dankochik Photo - Quesnel Cariboo Observer)
Quesnel Sponsor League Curling: First blemish for Billy Barker

The team representing the casino and hotel is no longer undefeated but stays at the top of the table

The Cariboo Regional District has launched a broadband survey for residents, businesses and organizations. (Monica Lamb-Yorski Photo - Williams Lake Tribune)
Cariboo Regional District launches broadband connectivity survey

Paper copies of the survey will be available beginning Dec. 2

Forestry Ink columnist Jim Hilton. (File Photo)
FORESTRY INK: Responsible use of herbicides

Columnist Jim Hilton writes about the issue of spraying herbicides like glyphosate

This screenshot from the City of Quesnel website shows where paving took place during the 2020 season. (City of Quesnel website)
City of Quesnel completed overlay paving at five sites in 2020

The season’s work was completed within a budget of $375,000

A B.C. Ambulance Service paramedic wearing a face mask to curb the spread of COVID-19 moves a stretcher outside an ambulance at Royal Columbia Hospital, in New Westminster, B.C., on Sunday, November 29, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
B.C. records deadliest weekend of COVID-19 pandemic with 46 deaths; more than 2,300 cases

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry provides COVID-19 update

Kettle bells sit aligned in an indoor fitness studio. (PIxabay.com)
1 COVID-19 case at a B.C. fitness studio leads to 104 more infections, 6 school exposures

According to case data released by Fraser Health, one case of the novel coronavirus carries a big impact

Vehicles drive past a display thanking essential workers in Burnaby, B.C. on Sunday, Nov. 29, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Marissa Tiel
B.C. changing COVID-19 case reporting as virus spread continues

Manual counting takes more time, leads to errors

Black Press Media and BraveFace have come together to support children facing life-threatening conditions. Net proceeds from these washable, reusable, three-layer masks go to Make-A-Wish Foundation BC & Yukon.
Put on a BraveFace: Mask fundraiser helps make children’s wishes come true

From Black Press Media + BraveFace – adult, youth and kid masks support Make-A-Wish Foundation

Christy Jordan-Fenton is the co-author of the book Fatty Legs, which has been mentioned amid the controversy of an Abbotsford school assignment on residential schools.
Co-author of residential schools book condemns controversial Abbotsford class assignment

Children’s book mentioned amid controversy at W. A. Fraser Middle School

Kootenay East MLA Tom Shypitka takes over as energy and mines critic for the B.C. Liberal opposition. Kelowna-Lake Country MLA Norm Letnick (right) moves from health critic to assistant deputy speaker. (Hansard TV)
B.C. Liberals pick critics to take on Horgan’s NDP majority

Interim leader Shirley Bond takes seniors, long-term care

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance Chrystia Freeland listens to a question from a reporter on the phone during a news conference in Ottawa, Monday, Nov. 30, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Spending too little worse than spending too much, Freeland says as Canada’s deficit tops $381B

‘The risk of providing too little support now outweighs that of providing too much’

Still from a video surveillance camera of a man alleged to have stolen from several people at knife-point in Chilliwack (Rosedale) early on Nov. 28, 2020. (Facebook)
B.C. man defends his family against intruder, saves neighbour while wielding hockey stick

RCMP looking for footage that captures violent crime spree in Chilliwack

Jim Neufeld, 55, was last seen leaving his home in Penticton Jan. 21, 2009. (RCMP photo)
Human remains found off U.S. coast in 2009 identified as Penticton man

Jim Neufeld, 55, was last seen leaving his home in Penticton Jan. 21, 2009

Most Read