Jobs Minister Shirley Bond

Port reopens Thursday with trucker deal

Deal to increase rates and reduce wait times ends deadlock at Port Metro Vancouver sites that was disrupting trade

VICTORIA – Truck driver representatives and provincial government officials shook hands Wednesday evening on a deal to get picket lines down at Port Metro Vancouver Thursday morning.

United Truckers Association and Unifor representatives joined Premier Christy Clark and Jobs Minister Shirley Bond at the B.C. legislature to announce the deal, which Clark said addresses pay and wait time issues.

The government will abandon back-to-work legislation to impose a 90-day cooling off period, along with stiff fines for Unifor-organized truckers who had been poised to continue their strike in defiance.

More than 1,000 other non-union independent owner-operators represented by the United Trucking Association who weren’t covered by the legislation had been under threat of port access permit terminations by Port Metro Vancouver.

The federal government committed to increase trip rates by 12 per cent within 30 days, with a temporary rate hike to take effect after a week of normal operations.

“What changed today was a willingness to listen,” said Unifor president Jerry Dias, adding that he had arrived in Victoria to announce a plan to defy the back-to-work law that was being debated.

Federal mediator Vince Ready was to return to B.C. Thursday to work out the details of the settlement.

Port Metro Vancouver has agreed to consult with truckers on the licensing system to control the number of trucks calling at the port and get the multiple employers to comply with rate and employment agreements. A wait time fee of $50 per trip is part of the agreement.

The strike began with non-union drivers Feb. 26 and broadened to unionized drivers March 10.

It has clogged the normal flow of goods via truck and began to result in layoffs in various trade-dependent industries.

 

Just Posted

UPDATE: City rescinds evacuation alert; CRD reduces Narcosli Creek Fire evacuation order, alerts

Ten properties have been taken off evacuation order and put on alert

Narcosli Creek Fire now 70% contained, more resources allocated in North Cariboo

Blackwater River and North Baezaeko fires remain zero per cent contained

UPDATED: Single-lane alternating traffic on Highway 97 near Alexandria

Drive BC reports a vehicle incident has reduced traffic on the road

Three new fires yesterday in Cariboo Fire Centre: Aug. 16 update

Up-to-date information about wildfires, evacuation orders and alerts in the Cariboo Fire Centre

Quesnel’s program to attract and retain new residents

Susan Paulsen rolls out the red carpet treatment to help new residents adjust

B.C. wildfires 2018: Hazy skies impacting crews in spotting new fires

18,000 people are on an evacuation alert, with 3,000 homes under an evacuation order

Minister optimistic after 2 days of Columbia River Treaty negotiations

Canadian and U.S. officials met in Nelson Wednesday and Thursday to discuss future of the treaty

Man dies in B.C. police cell while awaiting court hearing

An independent investigation is underway after a man died while in Penticton police custody Aug. 16

RCMP appeal for tips, dashcam footage in German tourist shooting west of Calgary

The Durango crashed into the ditch after the shooting near the Goodstoney Rodeo Centre

2 nurses attacked at B.C. psych hospital, union calls for in-unit security

PHSA says that in-unit guards would do more harm than good

Former B.C. optician won’t be jailed for sexually assaulting minor

Kenneth Pilkington sentenced to 24 months’ probation for offence three decades ago

Red Cross now accepting donations for those impacted by B.C. wildfires

The Canadian Red Cross is asking for help now and in the weeks and months ahead.

B.C. program to educate parents reduces ‘shaken baby syndrome’ by 35%

Period of PURPLE Crying was launched nearly a decade ago

B.C. golfer, just 23, scores the rare albatross

Six-million-to-one shot a first for the Terrace club

Most Read