The Quesnel Volunteer Fire Department (QVFD) was on the scene of a gas leak at the construction site of GR Baker Memorial Hospital late Tuesday morning, Sept. 27.
Fire chief Ron Richert said they received the call at around 11:30 a.m.
“Upon arrival, we noticed a large gas line that was severed on the northside at the end of Walkem Street,” Richert added.
The QVFD responded with two apparatus and 10 members.
Around five homes in the area were evacuated.
Richert said the hospital itself and the Fraserview Medical Building were fine.
“It was just a matter of shutting down some of the air intake lines to the hospital and the businesses around the area, and they had no smell.”
The QVFD waited for the arrival of Fortis BC from Prince George before leaving the scene at approximately 3:30 p.m.
The gas line is believed to have been hit by an excavator.
Do you have something to add to this story, or something else we should report on? Email: email@example.com
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.