The West Fraser Volunteer Fire Department received mutual aid from the Quesnel Volunteer Fire Department as they responded to a structure fire Tuesday, Dec. 28 on Kupferschmidt Road. (Rebecca Dyok photo)

The West Fraser Volunteer Fire Department received mutual aid from the Quesnel Volunteer Fire Department as they responded to a structure fire Tuesday, Dec. 28 on Kupferschmidt Road. (Rebecca Dyok photo)

Garage destroyed in Tuesday morning fire near West Fraser Road

Home sustains some minor damage

A structure fire could have been a lot worse.

The West Fraser Volunteer Fire Department (WFVFD) rushed to the blaze on Kupferschmidt Road before 9 a.m. Tuesday, Dec. 28.

“When we got there was a garage out back of the house that was fully involved,” said WFVFD Chief Lance Wilkins.

Mutual aid was provided by the Quesnel Volunteer Fire Department, with RCMP and BC Ambulance Service also responding.

“Luckily, it was just minor damage to the house—mostly siding and this one back corner,” Wilkins said, adding the shop was a complete loss.

“It didn’t look like anything in the interior was damaged when you walked through it, so that was very good. Nobody is out of a house right now.”

Both departments had returned to their halls before noon.

Wilkins said he was able to speak with the property owner, who told him that the fire may have been caused by a heat lamp used for chickens and quails.

An extreme cold warning could have deeply challenged the efforts of firefighters in extinguishing and preventing the fire from spreading with water freezing and the performance and reliability of equipment affected.

The warning was reissued early Dec. 28 by Environment and Climate Change Canada.

“People have more heaters on in the cold, so it’s more risk out there,” Wilkins said, adding he hopes everyone stays safe.


Do you have a comment about this story? email:
rebecca.dyok@quesnelobserver.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

fire