This is a general update on current wildfires and anticipated weather for Aug. 28, 2018.
There are currently 49 active wildfires within the Cariboo Fire Centre. Two fires were called out on Aug. 27.
The fire danger rating is ‘low’ with pockets of ‘moderate’ and ‘very low’ in the eastern portion of the fire centre. In the western portion of the Cariboo Fire Centre, it is generally ‘moderate’ with pockets of ‘high’ and ‘low’. The BC Wildfire Service website displays the current fire danger rating.
This morning will be sunny with increasing cloudiness this afternoon. Scattered showers are expected late this afternoon and evening with a risk of thundershowers.
Summary of Wildfires of Note
There are currently four Wildfires of Note in the Cariboo Fire Centre. Up to date information on the Wildfires of Note can be found at www.bcwildfire.ca. For more information on evacuation alerts and orders, please visit the Cariboo Regional District Website.
Summary of Other Wildfires
Below is a summary of other active fires, by zone, as of first thing this morning. Within this summary, only fires that are over four hectares and are in Out of Control status will be highlighted. For current sizes on wildfires not listed below, please check the All Current Wildfires.
Quesnel Fire Zone
There are nine active wildfires burning in this zone. Two are Being Held, one is Under Control and seven fires are in Out of Control status.
1. The Yuzkli Lake fire is south of Big Valley Creek and estimated at 100 hectares. Heavy equipment established guard in areas that were accessible. This fire is being closely monitored by the BC Wildfire Service.
Williams Lake Zone
There are two active wildfires burning in this zone. One is Being Held and one is Under Control.
1. The Mayfield Lake Fire is estimated at 300 hectares and is now in Being Held status and is 100 per cent contained.
There are 18 active wildfires fires burning in this zone. Six fires are Being Held, two are Under Control, and ten are in Out of Control status.
1. The Quartz Mountain fire is mapped at 522 hectares. This fire is being monitored closely by the BC Wildfire Service.
2. The Boulderly Creek fire, located on the east arm of Quesnel Lake is mapped at 233 hectares. This fire is being monitored closely by the BC Wildfire Service.
3. The fire west of Warttig Lake is estimated at 50 hectares. This fire is being monitored closely by the BC Wildfire Service.
4. The wildfire East of Mitchell Lake is estimated at 5.5 hectares. This fire is being monitored closely by the BC Wildfire Service.
5. The Roaring River Valley fire is estimated at 1000 hectares. This fire is located in the high alpine and is being monitored closely by the BC Wildfire Service.
100 Mile Zone
There are 13 active fires. Eight fires are now considered Being Held and will no longer be reported on in this daily update, two are Under Control and seven are in Out of Control status.
1. The fire 16 kilometres north of Canim Lake is estimated at 407 hectares. This fire is a Modified Response fire and is being monitored closely by the BC Wildfire Service.
2. The fire near Jonah Lake is mapped at 92 hectares. This fire is a Modified Response fire and is being monitored closely by the BC Wildfire Service.
3. The fire located near Gotchen Lake in the Deception Creek area is estimated at 350 hectares. BC Wildfire Service continues to monitor this fire.
The Chilcotin Fire Zone currently has seven active wildfires. Four fires are Out of Control and three fires are in Under Control status.
1. The Bald Face fire is estimated at 10,687 hectares. This fire is burning in high elevation and has experienced increased activity and growth due to winds. Ground crews will be establishing guard on the southwest flank of the fire in a modified harvest area.
2. The Wilderness Lake fire is now being jointly managed by the Tweedsmuir Complex.