This is a general update on current wildfires and anticipated weather for Aug. 29.
There are currently 49 active wildfires within the Cariboo Fire Centre.
The fire danger rating is ‘high’ with pockets of ‘extreme’ west of Puntzi and ‘moderate’ between Puntzi and Highway 97. East of Highway 97 is generally ‘low’ with pockets of ‘moderate’ and ‘very low’. The BC Wildfire Service website displays the current fire danger rating for the province.
Today will be mainly cloudy with scattered showers and locally gusty winds. Some isolated thundershowers are anticipated and cool temperatures with highs in the low to mid-teens.
Summary of Wildfires of Note
There are currently four Wildfires of Note in the Cariboo Fire Centre. Up to date information on the Wildfire of Note can be found at www.bcwildfire.ca. For more information on evacuation alerts and orders, please visit the Cariboo Regional District website.
Summary of Other Wildfires
Below is a summary of other active fires, by zone, as of first thing this morning. Within this summary, only fires that are over four hectares and are in Out of Control status will be highlighted. For current sizes on wildfires not listed below, please check the All Current Wildfires web page.
Quesnel Fire Zone
There are nine active wildfires burning in this zone. Three are Being Held, one is Under Control and five fires are in Out of Control status.
1. The Yuzkli Lake fire is south of Big Valley Creek and estimated at 100 hectares. This fire is being closely monitored by the BC Wildfire Service.
Williams Lake Zone
There are two active wildfires burning in this zone. Both fires are in Under Control.
1. The Mayfield Lake Fire is estimated at 300 hectares and is now in Under Control status.
There are 18 active wildfires fires burning in this zone. Six fires are Being Held, two are Under Control, and ten are in Out of Control status.
1. The Quartz Mountain fire is mapped at 522 hectares. This fire is being monitored closely by the BC Wildfire Service.
2. The Boulderly Creek fire, located on the east arm of Quesnel Lake is mapped at 233 hectares. This fire is being monitored closely by the BC Wildfire Service.
3. The fire west of Warttig Lake is estimated at 50 hectares. This fire is being monitored closely by the BC Wildfire Service.
4. The wildfire East of Mitchell Lake is estimated at 5.5 hectares. This fire is being monitored closely by the BC Wildfire Service.
5. The Roaring River Valley fire is estimated at 1000 hectares. This fire is located in the high alpine and is being monitored closely by the BC Wildfire Service.
100 Mile Zone
There are 13 active fires. Nine fires are now considered Being Held and will no longer be reported on in this daily update, two are Under Control and two are in Out of Control status.
1. The fire near Jonah Lake is mapped at 92 hectares. This fire is a Modified Response fire and is being monitored closely by the BC Wildfire Service.
2. The fire located near Gotchen Lake in the Deception Creek area is estimated at 350 hectares. BC Wildfire Service continues to monitor this fire.
The Chilcotin Fire Zone currently has seven active wildfires. Four fires are Out of Control and three fires are in Under Control status.
1. The Bald Face fire is estimated at 10,687 hectares. This fire is burning in high elevation and has experienced increased activity and growth due to winds. Ground crews will be establishing guard on the southwest flank of the fire in a modified harvest area.
2. The Wilderness Lake fire is now being jointly managed by the Tweedsmuir Complex (please see Wildfires of Note webpage for more information).