Guy Thomas

August 6, 1924 – January 14, 2019
Guy was born 6 August, 1924 in Mirror Alberta to parents George and Zella Thomas. He had a brother Ray and sister Bonnie.

As a lad in Mirror he delivered groceries for his dad who owned the local Red and White grocery store. During WW2 Guy signed up for the Merchant Marine after completing training as a radio officer in Toronto. He spent the war protecting convoys carrying troops and equipment across the Atlantic to aid in the war effort. After the war Guy remained in the Merchant Marine travelling the world until 1952 when he met his soon to be wife Olive Florence Hayes in Chilliwack, BC.

One story he liked to tell was when he sailed into Vancouver and the ship had salt water in the fresh water tanks and he was granted a day’s leave, so he took a taxi to Chilliwack, proposed to Olive then took a taxi back to Vancouver and sailed away for 6 months.

Guy and Olive were married 27 January, 1953 and Guy began schooling as a Certified General Accountant, working during the day and taking night classes to obtain his degree.

Their first son Gerald was born 7 February, 1954 and second son Richard on 23 September, 1957.

Guy became an accountant with Weldwood of Canada, Vancouver office, and was transferred to the Quesnel office in 1963 becoming the regional comptroller for the Central BC division.

Guy was on the board of G.R Baker Memorial Hospital for many years. He was an avid golfer, as well as coaching and refereeing hockey for his two sons.

When the boys left home to find their own lives, Guy and Olive retired and spent their winters in sunny Arizona until the late 1990’s when they moved from Quesnel to Innisfail, Alberta to be closer to the family.

Olive passed away in July 2010 and Guy moved the following year to Comox, BC to live with Richard for a short time until he moved into independent living at The Berwick retirement community. After 6 years there, due to the onset of dementia, he moved to a care home in Victoria where Gerald was living at the time.

Guy passed away peacefully in his sleep in the early morning of 14 January, 2019. He is survived by his 2 boys Gerald and Richard, granddaughter; Amanda, grandsons; Dustin and Adam and two great grandchildren; Alexis and Carter.

He is dancing in heaven with Olive once again.

Your condolences will be approved within one business day. You will need a valid Facebook account. Please email us if you have any questions.