Passing the passion

Curlers pass on their passion for the sport to the next generation at the Optimus Kids Curling Camp

A prospective curler moves the stones from one end of the sheet to the other

The curling club opened wide its doors to welcome scores of rugrats last Saturday.

The Optimus Kids Curling Camp was the first of its kind to happen in Quesnel, inviting nine to 12 year-olds out on the ice to get a taste of curling, some for the first time in their lives.

A total of 32 children attended the event, which was the second best turnout for the provincially-wide held camp.

“You always want better numbers, but when he told me we were the second highest camp I was pretty happy,” Dave Plant, manager of the curling rink, said.

Plant said around 70 per cent of the children who came out had never been on a curling sheet before, with the other 30 per cent having been around curling, but not regularly.

Action started on the sheets at 10 a.m. and went through to 3 p.m. with a stop for a spaghetti lunch around noon. The lunch and snacks were provided courtesy of Cariboo Pulp and Paper.

The introduction to curling added to the number of young curlers in the city, with some of the attendees showing interest in participating in youth curling activities.

It was the first such camp for the region, but with the positive feedback Plant received, he hopes to hold one next year as well, though holding it earlier in the season so new curlers can enjoy a whole curling season if they want to enjoy, instead of the half they can take part in this year.

Because of how late the camp was, new curlers from this year’s camp will join come the new year.

The Youth Curling Jam Can, ages 7 to eleven, and the Junior Curlers, ages twelve and up, are midway through their 13 week season, which will break for Christmas, allowing new curlers to join for the six weeks left after Christmas.

The young curlers play Wed. 3 p.m.-4:30 p.m. for the young ones and Sat. 3:30 p.m.- 5:30 p.m. for the junior players.

Anyone interested in taking part can call the curling rink at 250-992-5813.

Just Posted

Quesnel woman killed in fatal collision

The collision took place on Maple Drive, near Kube Road

Quesnel students recognized for burn awareness posters

St. Ann’s Catholic School student Claire Barbosa in the provincial Burn Awareness Week Poster Contest

Englands in China: Christmas trip to Vietnam

Ron and Gill England are living and working abroad and sharing their experiences with the Observer

Sri Lanka presentation happening Thursday, Jan. 24 at Quesnel Library

The presentation is part of the Friends of the Library travelogue series

Eighty athletes compete at Biathlon BC Cup race in Quesnel

Two-day event at Hallis Lake features beginners, national-calibre racers and recreational athletes

New Canada Food Guide nixes portion sizes, promotes plant-based proteins

Guide no longer lists milk and dairy products as a distinct food group

Suspended B.C. legislature officers accused of ‘flagrant overspending’

Personal trips, purchases, alcohol and more laid out in 76-page report by Plecas

Alberta youth charged over theft of $17,000 in snow equipment at B.C. ski resort

Alberta RCMP recovered $17,000 in skis/snowboards believed stolen from Fernie Alpine Resort Saturday

China demands U.S. drop Huawei extradition request with Canada

Hua said China demands that the U.S. withdraw the arrest warrant against Meng Wanzhou

Giant ice disk equipped with webcam after surviving storm

Westbrook official Tina Radel says the livestream was requested by Brown University

Ousted B.C. legislature officials say report released to further blacken their reputations

James and Lenz say release was ‘Contrary to all principles of fairness and decent treatment’

B.C. animators land Oscar nominations

‘Animal Behaviour’ by Vancouver’s David Fine and Alison Snowden among several Canadians on the short list

B.C. legislature managers accused of excessive travel, personal expense claims

Clerk Craig James, security chief Gary Lenz call allegations ‘completely false’

Auto shop apologizes after B.C. employees disrespect memorial convoy

Mr. Lube staff members suspended after incident Sunday in Nanaimo

Most Read