Skip to content

Quesnel Kangaroos fall in final game of CIHL finals

The Terrace River Kings ended Quesnel’s quest for a CIHL three-peat
Fans cheered on the Quesnel Kangaroos at the West Fraser Centre on Saturday, March 12. (Rebecca Dyok photo — Quesnel Cariboo Observer photo)

The Terrace River Kings shot the lights out in game three of the Central Interior Hockey League finals, defeating the Quesnel Kangaroos 5-3 and winning the league final two games to one.

A shot from Terrace River Kings forward Colin Bell in the third period deflected up into the roof of the Terrace Arena, breaking a light. Just a few minutes later, another shot from Bell would seal the victory for Terrace, as it was tipped past Quesnel goalie Ryan Manderson and gave them a two goal lead with five minutes to play.

Terrace will now host the Dawson Creek Canucks in the Coy Cup final. All games in the CIHL final were won by the team on home ice, with Terrace winning twice across March 19 and 20.

READ MORE: Terrace defeats Quesnel in game 2 of the CIHL finals, setting up winner-take-all game 3 Sunday

READ MORE: Quesnel Kangaroos lead CIHL championship series after win against Terrace River Kings

The game started out strong for the Roos, with Jordan Draper leading the charge in the first period for the visitors. Draper set up Eli Jarvis on a rush chance, leaving Eli Jarvis with a tap in to open the scoring. After Terrace’s Ryan Roseboom replied for the River Kings, Draper scored himself, cutting into the slot and finishing past Terrace goalie Hunter Tyran.

The Roos had chances to add to their lead, but both teams were just inches away from scoring, hitting posts several times throughout the game.

Chapen Leblond would be the difference maker for Terrace. He scored the tying goal after Kangaroos goalie Ryan Manderson couldn’t control a rebound. Connor Onstein added an odd goal after a massive scramble in front of the Kangaroos net.

Leblond’s stick would make a huge difference as the period wound down. With Eli Jarvis in all alone, Leblond took a desperation hooking penalty to keep Terrace in front. Not only did Leblond save a goal, when he stepped out of the box early in the third period, he found himself on a breakaway, and made no mistake, putting the River Kings up 4-2.

Brady Godsoe would lead a Roos comeback attempt, scoring in the third, but Bell’s tipped shot would seal the victory for Terrace, and win them the CIHL championship.

The games were broadcasted on Facebook on the BCSN Facebook page.

Do you have something to add to this story, or something else we should report on? Email:


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.